The Payroll & Benefits Specialist administers the activities relating to the company payroll, benefits and HRIS processing including developing, implementing, and monitoring (e.g., performing internal audit and control procedures to ensure that all wages and taxes are accurate). The individual will be the company’s subject matter expert with all payroll, benefits and HRIS administration.
Specific Functions and Responsibilities:
- Process payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including reviewing and importing hours from time and attendance system, entering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements, e.g., garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with human resources team to improve payroll and HRIS processes.
- Evaluate and implement payroll/HRIS systems upgrades and changes.
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS systems.
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees.
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
- Works with the Talent Acquisition Manager to coordinates the new employee on-boarding process and presents benefits presentations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts, and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Accounting for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401k, etc.).
- Addresses benefit inquiries to ensure timely and accurate resolutions. Maintains contact with employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Coordinate with third party administrator to manage disability claims according to the plan.
- Administers online COBRA enrollments/changes and responds to and manages unemployment claims and workers compensation cases.
- Plans and executes the companies Wellness program events and emails.
- Maintains complete electronic employee personnel files, records, and other documentation for employees, including employment status changes and maintaining timely and accurate files.
- Coordinates pre-employment paperwork and processes.
- Prepares statistical summaries and reports from the HRIS involving payroll information, performance management, demographic data, and other employee data, requiring knowledge of the various Human Resources disciplines. Assists to maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data and reviewing source documents for accuracy and completion of data input.
- Generates files/reports for benefits plans, annual reports, PTO accrual, as well as other special and ad hoc reports as requested.
- Recommends business process improvements having an HRIS component.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
The above description outlines the most common job duties; however, it does not exclude other potential work assignments.
Education and Formal Training Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant years of experience.
- PHR/SHRM certification a plus, but not required.
Qualifications Required: (knowledge, skills, abilities, initiative, judgment, etc.)
- At least 3+ years of experience administering payroll, HRIS and benefits processes required.
- Work experience should include knowledge of basic human resources, payroll practices, benefits administration, and compliance or other related experience.
- Must have strong knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including payroll, benefits, time & attendance and HRIS and self-service systems. Experience with Paylocity a plus.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and terminology, payroll and benefit processes and procedures, including eligibility and enrollment rules and benefit procedures.
- Demonstrates exceptional analytical skills and ability to create useful and actionable reports from data.
- Possess strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Possess strong organization skills and ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to edit and proofread.
- Possess a creative outlook with a problem-solving attitude.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and follow-through skills.
- Has shown ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests for data, ability to provide excellent customer service a must.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
Work Conditions / Physical Demands:
- This position requires the incumbent to regularly utilize written and verbal communication skills, including active listening and speaking clearly and concisely.
- This position requires the incumbent to experience periods of prolonged sitting and to occasionally stand, walk, carry items, climb, reach, and lift up to 20 lbs.
- This position requires the incumbent to operate office equipment such as telephones, computers, fax machines, copiers, and to grasp objects utilizing manual dexterity including hand/finger coordination.
Travel Requirement: None
Benefits/Compensation (including but not limited to):
Medical and dental insurance, group life insurance, 401k matching, long term disability, potential target bonus, paid time off.
Salary Range: $90-120k
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.