The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) functions as a clinical subject matter expert on Cerapedics Products to internal business partners and external customers.
Specific Functions and Responsibilities:
- Is considered a clinical expert responsible for providing comprehensive, accurate, fair balanced, objective, scientifically rigorous information and appropriate product and disease state education to key opinion leaders, health care professionals and internal partners based on business needs in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Is responsible for building and maintaining external relationships with recognized experts in the therapeutic area and effectively engage these individuals in scientific exchange in accordance with company strategy at an appropriately determined cadence.
- Responds to unsolicited requests for medical information from healthcare professionals.
- Is responsible for staying current on scientific literature and treatment landscape trends relevant to Cerapedics products.
- Provides high level support for company sponsored trials and aides in navigating investigator-initiated research proposals through the review process.
- Strategically approaches territory management and adjusts strategy and tactics as directed.
- Attends scientific conferences to gather, analyze and synthesize new scientific information relevant to the company and the external scientific community.
- Executes key administrative functions, including documentation of field activities, submission of medical insights, expense report submission, and other tasks as deemed business necessary.
The above description outlines the most common job duties; however, it does not exclude other potential work assignments.
Education or Formal Training Required:
- Clinical degree (e.g. MD/DO, PA, NP, Surgical Tech) with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in industry (i.e., biotech/pharmaceutical/medical device company, Contract Research Organization).
- 1-3 years of experience as an MSL required.
- Orthopedic medicine experience preferred.
Qualifications Required: (knowledge, skills, abilities, initiative, judgment, etc.)
- Ability to manage timelines, multiple priorities under time constraints
- Experience with clinical research, publication activities, congress/conference/academy presentations
- Aptitude to develop technical expertise in new therapeutic areas
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional environment
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with thought leaders and to establish trust through the consistent demonstration of scientific expertise and satisfactory follow-through to requests from thought-leaders.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to compile and disseminate information to others in a cohesive fashion to assure a clear understanding of project status and direction.
- Excellent communicator, skilled at diplomacy and capable of effectively combining science and relationship building.
Work Conditions / Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully preform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made when requested by the employee to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires the incumbent to regularly utilize written and verbal communication skills, including active listening and speaking clearly and concisely.
- This position requires the incumbent to experience periods of prolonged sitting and to occasionally stand, walk, carry items, climb, reach, and lift up to 20 lbs.
- This position requires the incumbent to operate office equipment such as telephones, computers, fax machines, copiers, and to grasp objects utilizing manual dexterity including hand/finger coordination.
- Minimal supervision. A wide degree of latitude is expected. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Candidate MUST be local to the territory (West Coast) or willing to self-relocate.
Travel Requirement: Up to 80%. This is a field-based position.
Benefits/Compensation (including but not limited to)
Medical and dental insurance, group life insurance, 401k matching, short and long term disability, potential target bonus, paid time off.
Salary Range: $120,000- 180,000/year depending on experience.