Responsible for supervising and coordinating all daily activities related to new equipment implementation or modification of existing equipment. This includes directing contractors, coordinating internal and external resources, and solving any design issues that arise during execution. Ensures that any internal resources efforts and tasks related to engineering and special projects are managed daily. The role requires a professional with strong interpersonal and leadership skills in order to autonomously interact with Manufacturing and effectively work with cross functional teams.
Specific Functions and Responsibilities:
- Perform all projects and engineering work with an emphasis on safety.
- Design and coordinate fabrication of special parts needed to aggregate and install new equipment.
- Design and coordinate installation of any ergonomic improvements and upgrades related to manufacturing production equipment.
- Source and obtain parts needed to perform any tasks related to engineering and special projects.
- Review existing process equipment installations and provide insights to improve product quality, throughput, energy efficiency and reliability of equipment.
- Provide feedback to maintenance team regarding scope, definition, and frequency of needed maintenance activities as they pertain to new and existing equipment.
- Participate in equipment safety reviews and provide feedback to safety department regarding use of process equipment.
- Oversee work done onsite by contractors as it pertains to engineering and process improvement projects.
- Train new employees in maintenance work processes and procedures as it pertains to new or modified equipment.
- Perform evaluations of maintenance technicians to ensure quality of work.
- Participate in project retrospectives to improve quality of work done by the Projects and Engineering department.
- Maintain vendor relationships and work with purchasing to order new materials or procure new vendors as needed.
- Troubleshoot issues with new equipment installations to ensure safe, efficient, and repeatable operation.
- Assisting with qualification and validation of new equipment.
- Interfacing with contractors to ensure their work is performed safely, efficiently & in a timely manner.
- Any other function that will ensure a safe, comfortable, efficient, and productive Manufacturing facility.
- Adhere to budgets.
The above description outlines the most common job duties; however, it does not exclude other potential work assignments.
Education and Skills Required:
- 8+ years’ relevant experience in maintenance at least one of the following: Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, Industrial controls, or equivalent.
- Natural mechanical aptitude.
- Experience working in a medical device/life sciences environment helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering preferred.
- Extensive knowledge in a variety of mechanical systems.
- Ability to manage others proactively.
- Experience managing multiple vendors.
- Ability to consistently maintain positive client relationships.
- Can effectively and efficiently handle both administrative and mechanical responsibilities.
- Always makes safety a priority.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Suite) and a solid understanding of data analysis software.
Qualifications Required: (knowledge, skills, abilities, initiative, judgment, etc.)
Minimum of 8 Years’ experience with each and all of the following:
Electrical installation, troubleshooting and maintenance:
- Line voltage (480VAC and 208VAC 3 phase, as well as 120VAC single phase)
- Low voltage controls (24VDC, analog signals, etc.)
- Communication systems (ethernet, serial communications, voice)
Basic PLC troubleshooting with regards to both the PLC and its’ connected I/O (Allen Bradley, Automation Direct, Siemens)
- Motor controls (starters, soft Starters, variable frequency drives)
- Associated equipment control systems (switches, relays, transducers, transformers, etc.)
Mechanical installation, troubleshooting and maintenance:
- HVAC systems
- Lab equipment (vacuum pumps, ovens, kilns, exhaust systems, blowers, etc.)
- Gas fired equipment (Incinerators, furnaces, etc.)
Fluid power/Plumbing installation, troubleshooting and maintenance:
- Pumps (centrifugal, pneumatic, multi-stage)
- Water systems (reverse osmosis, deionized Water, ultrapure water, etc.)
- Hydraulic systems (Less than 4000 psi)
- Steam and clean steam systems
- Valve and flow controls (Check valves, solenoid valves, strainers, pressure/flow regulators)
General shop / fabrication skills (basic to moderate skill level required):
- Mig/Stick/Tig Welding, soldering, and brazing of carbon and stainless steel
- Safe and efficient power tool usage
- Cutting, grinding, drilling, milling of various materials (Wood, metal, plastic)
- Excellent cleaning and organization habits of all work areas
- Polite, helpful, friendly attitude, even in the face of highly stressful working conditions
- Ability to think independently when given incomplete or vague instructions
- Willingness to address concerns from multiple sources and deal with frequent and abrupt changes in daily work schedule
- Ability to perform concise, legible manual data entry on frequently audited cGMP documentation. Superior technical writing skills are a non-negotiable requirement
Work Conditions / Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made when requested by the employee to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires the incumbent to regularly utilize written and verbal communication skills, including active listening and speaking clearly and concisely
- This position requires the incumbent to experience periods of prolonged sitting and to occasionally stand, walk, carry items, climb, reach, and lift up to 75 lbs.
- This position requires the incumbent to operate office equipment such as telephones, computers, fax machines, copiers, and to grasp objects utilizing manual dexterity including hand/finger coordination
- Light manufacturing, laboratory, and warehouse operations
- Cleanroom/controlled environment operations
- Potential exposure to dust, noise, and odor
- Potential exposure to various chemicals
- Minimal supervision and guidance
- Self-reliant; takes initiative; results-oriented, open minded
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
Travel Requirement: <5%
Benefits/Compensation (including but not limited to)
Medical and dental insurance, group life insurance, 401k matching, long term disability, potential target bonus, paid time off.
Salary Range: $40-45/hour
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.