Director of Accounting (Westminster, CO)
Candidate is responsible for overseeing the General Accounting and Financial Reporting functions of the company including A/R, A/P, general ledger, tax, cash management and risk management. They are responsible for implementing and maintaining an internal controls and system of processes that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with US GAAP.
Specific Functions and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements including management summary, department and variance reporting.
- Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances; making investments.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
The above description outlines the most common job duties, however it does not exclude other potential work assignments.
Education or Formal Training Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Economics or Finance.
- Accounting designation (CPA, CMA) or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Minimum 10 years accounting experience in a senior accounting or financial management role.
- Experience working in a medical device/life sciences environment helpful.
Qualifications Required: (knowledge, skills, abilities, initiative, judgment, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Leadership skills including mentoring and team building.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Working knowledge of SAP preferable.
- Good organizational and time management skills, must be able to organize, coordinate and direct projects.
- Strong decision making skills including the ability to extrapolate from written procedures and policies.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Ability to analyze and resolve work problems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters of financial data.
- Must be able to make objective decisions and use judgment in non-routine situations.
- Must be able to work effectively with cross-functional teams, external sub-contractors, and independent auditors.
Extent of Supervision:
- Minimal supervision and guidance.
- Self-reliant; takes initiative; results-oriented, open minded.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.